Vaman means therapeutic vomiting which is a medicated emesis. This treatment is done for the aggravated kaphadosha, which dislodges the toxins mainly from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. This therapy is also done for preventive & curative purposes.
1) Vaman is induced in order to eliminate excess of mucus from the respiratory and gastro-intestinal tract that causes excess of the kapha.
2) Pre-therapy procedure: before inducing vamana, patient is asked to have have ghee for required number of days followed by Snehan (Oil Massage) and Swedan (Steam bath). A night before patient is advised with kapha aggravating foods. This is done with the intention of increasing the kapha so that it gets eliminated out completely and forcefully from the system.
3) On the next day, a patient is recommended to drink a medicine which has property to induce vomiting in required dose.
4) This drink triggers vomiting in the patient within the stipulated time
5) In this manner the patient expels the whole kapha outside and feels better & light after some time.
6) Post therapy: patient should take rest completely and consume light food. Fasting is recommended after vaman therapy as the whole system goes under heavy work.
1) Lightness in the chest is often experienced after undergoing the vaman therapy.
2) People analyse things more efficiently, promotes good voice and good appetite.
3) After vaman, the sinuses are cleared which in turn provides relief from congestion, wheezing and breathlessness.
4) It is a highly efficient treatment in Asthma and skin related problems like psoriasis.
5) Reduction in weight and cholesterol & triglycerides.